Under the Fair Work Act 2009 employees can be required by their employer to provide certificates for absence from work to verify absences from work due to illness or injury (personal leave), or absences due to the illness or injury to a member of the employee's immediate family or household (carer's leave).

It is deemed within a registered pharmacist's scope of practice to issue a Certificate for Absence from Work, provided they are acting within their scope of practice.

Our pharmacists limit the provision of certificates for absence from work to:

  • ​their area of practice and expertise, which is primarily - the supply, compounding or dispensing of medicines; the providiong of professional pharmacy services, including advice on minor conditions and the effective and safe use of medicines; and
  • circumstances where they can reasonably form a view as to an employee's fitness for work, or as to the illness or injury of the member of the household or immediate family.

To discuss the need for a medical certificate please call or visit Warnbro Pharmacy today.  

It is the responsibility of the person requesting the certificate to:

  • ​Participate in a consultation with the pharmacist;
  • Provide the pharmacist with a truthful, complete and accurate description of the reason for requesting a certificate (which should be documented by the pharmacist);
  • Provide the pharmacist with any documentation relating to their request for a certificate - this may include, but is not limited to, prescriptions and previous certificates; and
  • Present the reason for requesting a certificate in a way that enables the pharmacist to make an accurate assessment of their eligibility for a certificate within the pharmacist's scope of practice.

*  Note - medical certificates can only be issued for the day of your consultation.

Absence from Work Certificates - Cost $20